Saint Demetrios church, is situated on Agiou Dimitriou street in the centre of Thessaloniki close to the Roman Agora. According to various sources, approximately between 303-306AD, a very small private chapel was first built in the position that Saint Demetrios is located today, by the Christians of Thessaloniki in order to owner Saint Demtrios who martyred during the same period after teaching Christianity to the Thessalonicians. After Christianity was announced by, great Konstantinos-324AD, as the formal religion of Thessaloniki, crowds of believers flocked to pray to be cured from severe diseases using the myrrh that traditions states that was gushing from the grave. One of the believers who was cured from his disease built in the place a greater temple to owner Saint Demetrios. The new temple was though burned during 628-634AD after a great fire that destroyed many parts of the city. The people of Thessaloniki built again, with some variations the temple, immediately after the fire. Since then, Saint Demetrios church has passed through many sackings and disasters. During the Ottoman period it was also turned into a mosque. The temple open again as a church after the Ottoman period ended (1912) but it was completely destroyed in 1917 due to the big fire that burned the greater part of Thessaloniki’s centre. Saint Demetrios church, was rebuild and restored once again after the 1917 fire and was open again on October 26, 1949. An old crypt that contains Saint Demetrios small private chapel can be accessed from an entrance that exists inside the church at its basement.
Address: Agiou Dimitriou 97, Thessaloniki, Greece
Open Hours: Daily from: 06:00 – 22:00
Phone: 0030 2310 270008
Website: Saint Demetrios Church