Ladadika, is an old quarter of Thessaloniki opposite one of the port’s entrances (see point 1 in the map below). It is located between the streets “Ionos Dragoumi”, “Tsimiski”, “Salaminos” and “Navarchou Kountouriotou”. It is an area that escaped from the flames of the big catastrophic fire that destroyed Thessaloniki’s center in 1917. Walking on the areas paved streets the traveler can see some old colorful buildings which were build in the end of 18th century. Many beautiful restaurants, pubs and nightclubs are located in this part of the city. The area is one of the city’s most known travel attractions and it is a beautiful combination of the city’s past and the city’s present.
In the past the area of what is currently known as ‘ladadika thessaloniki‘ used to be a commercial wholesellers market with a lot of shops and warehouses in which olive oil was stored. This is how its name has been derived as “Ladi” in Greek means oil. After the great fire of 1917 the area lost its dynamic and started to decline. It become the red lights district for several decades until the big earthquake that hit Thessaloniki in 1978. After the earthquake the area was abandoned for almost two decades. Later on Ladadika was declared a historic site and became synonymous with nightlife and it was regenerated to the status it is today.
Ladadika is a placed that should not be missed by anyone who visits Thessaloniki even for a few hours.
Ladadika Thessaloniki Gallery