- the administration of the most significant Russian Avant-Garde Collection outside Russia, the Costakis Collection, by organizing original productions, co-productions and scientific research programmes in Greece and abroad
- the record and promotion of the contemporary Greek art as well as the creation and support of common grounds for effective dialogue between Greek artists and artists from Europe and all over the world,
- the support of the synthesis of arts as well as the reinforcement of innovative and alternative artistic suggestions
- the substantial cooperation and netting with cultural institutions in Greece, Europe and abroad,
- the usage of the most modern digital technologies in all its communication fields, the development of web applications as well as the creation of a web portal
- the implementation of innovative educational programmes as well as access programmes for all social groups
Apart from the Costakis Collection, which includes 1.275 masterpieces of prominent Russian Avant Garde artists, the State Museum of Contemporary Art has in its possession a significant amount of paintings and sculptures of Greek and foreign artists (about 200), which were donated by the Thessaloniki Cultural Capital of Europe 1997 Organization.
Furthermore, the Museum possesses contemporary art works of distinguished artists, who wished to donate their works to the museum, mostly on the occasion of an exhibition, such as Chris Gianakos, Stylianos Antonakos but also independently of any event, such as works of G. Vacalo, donated by Cathleen Vacalo.
Address 1: Les Lazaristes, Kolokotroni 21, 56430 Thessaloniki, Greece
Adreess2: Warehouse B1, Thessaloniki Port, Greece
Open Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday: 10:00-18:00
Phone: 0030 2310589140-1
Website: Thessaloniki State Museum of Contemporary Art