The Church of Panagia Chalkeon is located under the surface of Egnatia street, close to the Roman Market and Aristotelous Square. The church was built during the beginning of the 11th century (approx.1028).
The Church of Panagia Chalkeon was built exclusively using red bricks and due to this it has been also known as the “Red Church”.
A very beautiful, green garden with trees and flowers (mainly roses) surrounds the church and gives the feeling that you are not in the center of a big city like Thessaloniki but rather on small green oasis.
During the Ottoman period (approx. around 1430) the church was turned into a mosque and was renamed to ” Kazancilar Camii” which means “Mosque of the Copper Merchants” due to the fact that a copper market used to exist close to it.
Panagia of Chalkeon has suffered considerable damages during the big earthquake that hit Thessaloniki in 1978 and its current condition has been kept after significant maintenance and restoration works were made. Despite though the damages caused by the earthquake and all the years that have passed many of its interior frescoes and marble decorations which were made during the 11th and 14th century have been preserved.
Address: Chalkeon 13, Thessaloníki 54631, Greece
Phone: 0030 2310 272910