Rotunda, and the Arch of Galerius are two of the most popular monuments of Thessaloniki. Rotunda, was build during Roman times (approx. 306-308AD). Other say it was build to serve аs a temple for the Olympic god Jupiter or for Cabiri and other say that it was build to become the mausoleum of the tetrarch Galerius. Rotunda, was part of the larger building complex that started from the Palace of Galerius (Navarino square area) and by road passed under the arch of Galerius (Kamara) that reached up to the Rotunda.
Rotunda, is a round monument 29.8m tall with a diameter of 24.5m. The monument has many big windows and its roof was build in three levels. After Galerius was baptized Christian, the Rotunda architecture changed significantly. Some additional constructions were added to the building mainly at its west and north side and mosaics were added inside in order to become a Christian temple. During Ottoman times Rotunda became a mosque and some additional constructions were also added to the building like its minaret.
After the liberation of the city in 1912, the building was reused as a Christian church. In 1914, the French Army of the East, supervised by Greek and Danish made excavations in the area surrounding the monument. In 1917, El. Venizelos declared the building as Macedonian Museum, and the building was hosting exhibitions of Christian sculptures until the earthquake of 1978.
The building has suffered significant damages from earthquakes twice in its history (the first one at the 7th century and the second one in 1978).
Today, the monument operates as museum but also hosts art works and temporary exhibitions. Its visitors, can also admire the preserved mosaics and some rare frescoes. The entrance is free and it can be visited throughout the week.
Address: Egnatia 123, Thessaloníki 546 21, Greece
Open Hours: Monday: closed
Phone:+30 2310 968860