Saint Sophia Cathedral, or Aghia Sophia, was build at the late 7th to early 8th century in the position were an early Christian Basilica of the 5th century was. In 1204, Saint Sophia Cathedral was converted to a Catholic cathedral after the city was conquered by the Fourth Crusade. During the Byzantine Empire (1246 until 1523) Saint Sophia was the Cathedral of the city. During Ottoman Empire Saint Sophia was converted to a mosque. During these different periods, Saint Sophia church changed significantly. In 1890 though, the Saint Sophia mosque suffered a considerable damage by a big fire that occurred in the city. During the repair of the damages some of its old Christian period mosaics were revealed and additional decorations on the cathedral remaining surfaces were added which are preserved until today. The mosaic is proof of the high intellectual and artistic level of the city through the centuries. The Cathedral suffered one more significant damage during the big earthquake that took place in Thessaloniki in 1978. Its full restoration after the earthquake lasted twenty years.
Saint Sophia Cathedral is located in the center of the city, on the Agia Sophia Street very close to the main shopping market of Thessaloniki and Iktinou and Pavlou Mela streets which are famous also for their cafes and bars.
Address: Agias Sofias 36, Thessaloníki 54622, Greece
Phone: 0030 2310270253